Saturday, January 29, 2011

To the adopter ...

February 22, 2010
To the adopter,

Daisy is a Brittany who was purchased in Laval, Quebec, at Safari, a franchised pet store. I know for a fact that she was purchased for a hefty sum but will keep the original amount and the original guardian anonymous. I can tell you that this person was irresponsible, impulsive, and to put bluntly, naive when purchasing Daisy. I knew Daisy from when she was purchased until I rescued her from her original guardian. 
 I am 21 years old and live in Laval Quebec. When Daisy first came into my life, I was not much interested in dogs and frankly looked down upon most dog owners. I didn’t really understand most dog owners and saw dogs as an ‘easy’ pet who loved you regardless. 
I took Daisy in around the first week of January. Upon finding out that Daisy was being left alone in a car for long periods of time; I made the decision to just take Daisy out of that situation. I can tell you for a fact that she was never physically harmed, but her needs were being neglected to accommodate her guardian.  This guardian, I can say, did not realize what she was getting into. Because they needed to work and go to school at the same time, the guardian was left to leave Daisy alone or with friends. It took me a week to finally take action upon finding out that Daisy was basically spending her days in an (apparently) indoor parking lot. I paid the guardian for her, and decided upon myself to find her a suitable home. So Daisy came from a bad situation. I don’t necessarily blame Daisy’s guardian, I can understand that they were left with little option, but I plainly don’t condone it. 
I immediately started to look for a new home, using craigslist and kijiji, and I admit, posted Free to Good Home ads.  I got an outpour of support from locals warning me about Free to Good Home ads and dangers involved. I took the advice and proceeded with caution. I found her a really nice home and got the adopter to sign an adoption agreement form where they agreed to have her spayed. It was an open adoption. I liked this family a lot; they seemed experienced and had the time that Daisy needed. I checked references and did a home check, but still in the pit of my stomach I was very hesitant. I dropped Daisy off and met with the couple. They loved her. 
And that was that, so I thought. I could keep in touch and I was welcome to visit her at scheduled times. 
It was not even 24 hours later that I got a call. They basically said they weren’t ready; it was too much. Before they could even ask, I offered to take her back and got her that same night. 
I was at a loss for a bit, not trusting most responses that I received from therein. I was mostly angry at myself for having Daisy lose her routine that we’d been working on in the two weeks she was with me.  I wanted very much to keep her, and devised plans for the future of how I can be more available to her.  I went from 35 hours of work a week to 20 hours, and had it in my mind that I would keep her. I wouldn’t say I was too attached at this point, but I felt responsible for her and I did not want to put her through any more inconsistencies, especially since I knew she never had a stable home and a stable pack leader. 
I went back and forth for a bit, not knowing what to do. I eventually came to the conclusion that I could not keep her; my life was not stable enough to fully care for her. I currently live with my parents (who from the start, did not want Daisy in their house), and so I was faced with multiple obstacles that led me to admit that Daisy was not going to have the best life she could have with me. I would be going back to school in a few months, and work was something that is not disposable as it was what allowed me to afford school in the first place. 
Finding NBRAN was the closest thing to any hope in finding her a better home. The success stories were too good to be true, and the dedication to the breed impressed me. I got in contact with a Representative almost immediately, and from there, they pretty much took care of things. I was not very happy that I was not more involved with the process of finding her a new home; I would have liked to meet her new family before anything was ever decided. I also had a few trust issues in the beginning, mostly concerning Daisy getting spayed while she was not in care, but later found out that they were following their procedures. This was sorted out soon enough though. Arrangements were made by NBRAN and  Daisy was taken in by an independent rescuer who had her spayed, and then drove her to Toronto to be fostered by a family that already had Brittany’s (I’ve been told).
I originally hoped I could have Daisy in my care and have her spayed with me, but the NBRAN rep convinced me that she was doing the thing that was best for Daisy.  I completely trusted the fosters that had her spayed; I got to meet them beforehand so leaving Daisy with them was not a worry of mine. These fosters allowed me to stop by the night after dropping Daisy off to see how she was recuperating from the operation, which I really appreciated.  I know she was in good hands and that is what was most important to me.  
I did the best that I could, and I’m not going to lie, I really really miss her. Getting to know Daisy has completely changed my view on dogs and opened my eyes on an industry that is very much misrepresented. I have never felt so strongly, that these pet stores are so completely devoid of anything slightly humane, and it angers me that it’s an industry that prospers while there are shelters and rescues filled with bred and abandoned animals.
                It was the hardest thing I have ever done; admitting to myself that I was presently not suited to Daisy.  I ask of you, now, if you are comfortable with it, to keep me updated on Daisy (if this remains her name). A picture, a video, or just a one-liner email would be appreciated.  
Thank you.

Daisy was surrendered by a fellow who volunteers for a rescue in Montreal, Canada.  He drove Daisy 5 & 1/2 hours from Montreal to Oshawa, Ontario  where Daisy was handed over to Sandy and Bill  who kept Daisy overnight and then then next day, they drove her to Cambridge (1 & 1/2 hours) where Helen Tostevin (Ontario NBRAN Coordinator) picked her up.  

Helen had just received an application on Monday from a family in Keswick,Ontario, and they were interested in a brittany puppy.  The home visit was done by Arlene and Helen did veterinarian reference check.....and both couldn't have been better.

Helen got Daisy on a Wednesday and on the very next Sunday her new family drove from Keswick, ON to London, ON (3 hours one way) to get her........and the rest they say is history. 

Helen gets updates from Daisy's adopting family, which she sends to the person who who deeply cared about Daisy, making one of the hardest decisions in life ... giving Daisy up so she could have a better life.

1 comment:

  1. And one day she'll be able to allow a canine into her life -

    Here's to all that made this happen -

    And all those to come!