Friday, December 24, 2010

All Because of the Love of a "Disposable Dog"!


Dear NBRAN Volunteer Fosters and Transporters,

I want to wish a heart felt THANK YOU and MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and every one of you!  I know we all do what we do for the love of dogs but we help people out along the way.

This is my story:

I volunteer at my local shelter to help find "disposable dogs" rescues so they won't be euthanized.  I happened to be at the shelter when a phone call came through . . . someone wanted to dispose of their 13 year old female Brit.  She hadn't hit the shelter yet, but I knew who to contact as I had transported one of our other shelter dogs to an NBRAN foster home earlier in the year.  And since I was already familiar with what a wonderful rescue NBRAN is, I called NBRAN. 


Sadie was now a rescued dog and didn't have to worry about being red listed or even going into the shelter.  After her vetting was done, she came back to my home to start her search for a furever home.  

Little did I know it would walk right through my door the very next day!  My father came to visit and fell in love with Sadie on the spot!  He didn't care that she was a senior as he is a senior himself and understood what is like to get old.  That night he filled out the application (after doing a ton of research about the breed and NBRAN) and within two days he was approved! 

I can say without hesitation that was one of the best days of his life!  You see he needed Sadie more than she needed him.  He had a stroke the year before and was just getting ready to have hip replacement surgery.  He was feeling pretty low as my father had always been a hard worker and now couldn't do as much.  He was depressed to say the least.  And I truly believe Sadie's love saved him!  He had a reason to keep living and get up every morning.  Each evening when he came home she greeted him with tail wags and the love only a dog can give! 

He isn't the same man he had become . . . he is even better than before.  And all because of the love of a "disposable dog"!  

Without NBRAN and all the volunteers this wouldn't have happened for my Dad.  So thank you from a daughter who loves her father very much!  

Dawn  Gray

1 comment: